Monday, February 1, 2010

Back in the Confessional

Some days I think I subconsciously started this blog to confess my sins, not for the loftier goal of expanding my readers minds through books.  I've been bad.  I admit it.  Here's what I've done lately.

I've been invited to join a new book club.  I only know one person in the club and she admits she never reads the book, but goes for the socializing.  They meet each month at a different restaurant for dinner and discussion.  The February selection is 'The Lace Reader' so I had to get a copy didn't I?  I like to discuss books AND socialize.

Saturday, I attended a writing conference and in typical conference fashion, they had a book store and book signings.  Need I say more.  I did limit myself to one reference book titled 'How to be a Selling Fiction Writer'.   I'm showing some restraint, aren't I?  I didn't walk out with an arm load.

After seeing a stage rendition on 'South Pacific' at the local theater, I felt I should add some Michener to my reading list.  In this case however I ordered it from Paperback Swap.  I got it for free.  I have used this service in the past to trade books I've finished.  It is a wonderful way to recycle and spread the joy of books.  I didn't actually go out into the world and 'buy' a new book.  It's been well read.

My list is getting longer, not shorter.  I seem to be in the mode of taking two steps forward then three steps back.  In the name of research, I also picked up a book about women and addiction when I was in the book store.  Confessing is cleansing and every time I fall down, I have to pick myself back up again.  I hope you've noticed that I haven't moved myself past step 2 until I get a better handle on what is fueling my obsession.  My bookshelf has become and still is, unmanageable.  I'm just beginning to understand the reasons why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...