Friday, January 22, 2010

A Background Check

A few of my followers wanted some clarification on how I choose my books.  So here's the low down.

I counted all the unread books on my shelf and made a list.  As I read and review a book I track the date and the rating I gave it and what happened to it.  The number of books on the list will go up and down since family and friends send me new books periodically that they think I might enjoy.  When I finish one book I draw the next title from a hat.  That way I can't show any preference of one title over another.  I believe that I have so many unread books because the appeal a book may have had when I bought it faded quickly and was too easily replaced by a flashier or more current title.  By drawing the title randomly, I can no longer show favorites.

I can with fair degree of certainty tell how and why each unread book came to me.  Don't ask me why I can do that, I just can.  I must have some kind of photographic memory when it comes to my beloved books.   Following the 12 steps has helped me understand the power of a book over my psyche.  I'm still a novice at the 12 steps but they have power over many of my other faults as well.

I fiercely believe in recycling books.  I have a pretty extensive list of people and places that are happy to have anything I send them.  My sister and I trade books on a regular basis.  My niece, Becky will read anything and everything.  She then shares the books with her friends.  A high school teacher in Ohio, Courtney, keeps a library for her students.  She doesn't care what they read, only that they read.  I happily contribute to the collection.   The list goes on.

I hope and pray that something good will come of my circulation of reading material.   Doors will be opened, creativity sparked, lives changed for the better.  I have a good feeling about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...