Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Homesick Creek by Diane Hammond

Homesick Creek came to me after being recommended by Leigh Anne Jasheway.  Leigh Anne critiqued a manuscript of mine at last summer's Willamette Writer's Conference.  She didn't like my manuscript much especially since I practically fell asleep in her lap.  At the end of three long days of learning, pitching and socializing I was pretty well beat.  Leigh Anne told me that Homesick Creek was a wonderful study in character development.  I took her advice on this one and I'm glad I did.
Homesick Creek is the story of unlikely characters thrown together in the wet, foggy soup of the Pacific Northwest.  I knew from the beginning Hauk was hiding something, but what?  Early on I learned Bob's shocking secret and watched him carefully hide it from the rest of the world.  Bunny thinks Hauk is hiding something else from her not knowing the real truth.  Anita loves Bob so much she's blinded by what is going on around her.
Slowly the author peels back the components of each player.  I felt Bunny's jealousy of Rae Macy and Rae's frustration of living in a place that she felt was far beneath her.  Anita tried desperately to keep her family as a unit amid poverty and Bob's lack of ambition.  These characters were real with real emotions.  I felt them in each breath they took.  Leigh Anne is right.
I rate Homesick Creek as 5 out of 5 books.  It's a captivating story told in a captivating way.  I think I'll keep this one of the shelf a while and use it to improve my own character development.  I know my writing will thank me for it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted that Homesick Creek proved useful to you (and Leigh Anne Jasheway). It is the least read of my books currently in print, but is also my favorite. It's an honor to think that your own writing may be helped by its example. Best,

    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! "wet, foggy soup of the Pacific Northwest." And people ask me why I'm moving back home. Seriously, you've piqued my curiosity. Let me know when you're ready to let Homesick Creek off the shelf. Hand's up to be the next reader!

    ReplyDelete

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...