Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

I'm a slow learner, that's for certain.  The lessons I need to learn need to be repeated multiple times in order to sink into my thick skull. 

I had to have a copy of The Help.  I tricked my sister into buying if for me for Christmas.  I desperately wanted to be included in a new book club.  I had to have it.  No, I didn't. 

The Help tells the story of black versus white in Mississippi in the 1960's.  The black maids, Aibileen and Minny are wonderful characters with much depth.  They tell their side of the story with great emotion and honesty.  Miss Skeeter befriends them in her quest for employment as a writer.  She painstakingly documents the stories of the maids.  She thinks by changing their names she has protected them from their employers.  She hasn't.  She's pretty stupid about alot of things in life.
Miss Skeeter and the rest of her white friends lacked any character, not just in their role in the story but as the author created them.  Writing in the first person is not my favorite.  Each character told the story from their own point of view for a few chapters before switching to the next character.  I was too confused most of the time as to who I was listening to.  The plot was difficult to follow.
Once Miss Skeeter's book was published the impact in the town was just too confusing.  And Miss Skeeter landed her dream job in New York.  So she got what she wanted leaving everyone else to their own devices.  I was let down with a thud. 
I rate The Help as 3 out of 5 books.  OK but not a have to have. 

I originally promised to send this book to my sister after I finished it.  She called to say she already got a copy from a friend.  She thought it was only OK too.  So I'm not sure what to do with it.  Maybe I'll send it off to Joan, Richard's first wife.  She loves to read and I haven't sent anything her way lately.  It makes me feel good to spread books around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...