Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure

Lucien Bernard is a struggling architect in Nazi occupied Paris.  That is until he meets a man who employs him for a very unusual reason, create hiding spaces in luxury apartments for prominent Jews being hunted by the Nazis.  Lucien is reluctant at first until he's given an introduction to German engineers wanting to build armament factories on French soil. This was his chance to prove his talents to the world even if the Germans were the enemy. Lucien didn't care.

I don't typically like to read World War II occupation stories.  I've read my share and then some and they are always very sad and heartbreaking.  The Paris Architect was no different. In fact there was a part so gruesome I almost put the book down for good.  My heart raced to an uncomfortable level and since I like to read before bed, that wasn't good.

I stuck with it and I can't say I'm overly glad that I did but I never like to leave a story unfinished.  Lucien was not a likable guy in my mind but he did show some compassion for others as the war around him escalated.  For me, however, he never completely lost his selfish ways.

The Paris Architect is without question, a page turner.  Keep in mind that the subject matter is often difficult.  We need respect and remember this portion of our history.  It's so important that we never forget these dark days. The Paris Architect is a gripping story and although often hard to read, I'm glad I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...