Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Power of the Written Word

Yesterday I returned from a family vacation in Barbados.  We gathered to celebrated the 70th birthday of my husband's brother, Bob, also known as Rex to the grandkids.   Each family of children and grandchildren prepared surprises and special events in Bob's honor.

The most special treat was created by all of us.  Bob's wife, Kathy asked each member of the family to write a story for Bob.  She took the stories and added pictures, headings and dates.  The end result was a beautifully bound book of Bob's life titled,  A Ride With Rex.   It's the story of Rex's life as a train ride with each of us hopping on board at different points along the way.

A Ride With Rex was the most read book in Barbados last week.  A best seller without ever making it to the shelf of the bookstore.  Fifteen of us each got our own autographed copy.  I read mine over and over, crying and laughing and feeling warm and fuzzy all over each time I did.  Each story evoked a different emotion from his brother, to his wife of 46 years, through his sons, their wives  and five grandchildren.  Lucie, the youngest at three, wrote a few special lines just for Rex, that are sure to keep her young in our hearts forever. 

What did I learn in my quest?  Books tell stories.  Books take us to far away places and then bring us home again.  Books are the map that lead us to treasures.  Books fuel the train that takes us on our journey through life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...