Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Genius in Cleveland

Richard and I went to St Petersburg, Florida over the weekend.  Basically we wanted to see a baseball game.  We are huge fans of the Tampa Bay Rays.  A few other sights were planned to round out our traveling experience.

Top on the list was the Salvidor Dali museum.  Yes, believe it or not St. Petersburg is home to the premier Salvidor Dali museum.  And what a fascinating place it is.  As usual I send Richard to the counter to buy two senior citizen admissions and the woman doesn't blink an eye when she wraps the wrist band around my arm.  Richard gets the elevator operator to believe he looks really good for 84 years old and that I'm his sister.  Surrealism in a surreal place full of surreal paintings.  Genius at work.

We decided to join the tour which starts with Dali's painting Daddy Long Legs.  It was the first painting acquired by the Morse's shortly before they were married.  The couple was from Cleveland, Ohio and first fell in love with Dali at an exhibition of his works in that city.  They collected his works over the years and became close friends with the artist.

Cleveland!  It seems that everywhere I go I find some connection.  People love to make fun of Cleveland but actually it is a very happening place.  I grew up there and had no idea of all the treasures it holds.  I had to grow up, move to Florida, marry Richard, become a baseball fan among other things to experience a gift traced back to Cleveland.  And the Dali museum is a gift.

The genius of Dali's paintings is extraordinary. The symbolism and interpretation of the world through his eyes is marvelous. Any description I give here would not do it justice.  It must be seen and even then will never be completely understood.  Being a writer, the works struck me for their creativity and attention telling the story.  Every detail visible with some that I had to hunt for.  But all told a story.  A fascinating story.  I learned something at the museum in Florida on the way to a baseball game, thanks to some intelligent and generous people.  From Cleveland.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...