Thursday, June 7, 2012

Feeling Famous

My case of writer's block is still hanging over me like a scratchy wool blanket.  I can't seem to shake it no matter what I try.  But I did find something that lifted my spirit in a very big way.

I volunteer at a school for at risk youths, teaching creative writing.  I have to say that what I've learned from these kids over the past few months is far more than what I taught them.  I'm sure of it.  Each class I hold has been eye opening and heart warming.  All of my kids are just brimming with talent, the kind of talent I have been working years to try to achieve.

The kids are in summer school now, and I was asked to help with some high school girls to do some creative writing.  I arrived at class to a room full of smiles.  My mood meter inched up.

"Hi.  My name is Linda and I'm a writer.  I've written a novel and I've been published in several Chicken Soup For the Soul books, " I told the girls.

"I love Chicken Soup books!"

"Can I have your autograph?"

"I'm writing a book.  Will you read it for me?"

The mood meter moved a bit more.  We did some writing exercises, created some interesting characters and talked like girls who love to talk.  Our time was up much too quickly and I wrapped up hoping they would want me to return for more next week.

"Miss Linda. Are you famous?  Do people stop you in the grocery store?" One of the students asked.

The dial on the mood meter shot up to the very top.

I laughed.  "No they don't.  But my plan is that someday they will. And you can say you knew me when."


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to being able to say that.

    Bummer about the block. Sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's it going??? It was just so cute when I was asked if people knew me in the grocery store. The kids are so good at changing my vision!! Can't wait to read the new book. Already pre ordered!

    ReplyDelete

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...