Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury

The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury

I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy of The Bridge from Netgalley.  The Bridge is a bookstore in a small town in Tennessee run by Charlie Barton, a man who loves how the written word can impact a life.  He will give a book away whenever he sees a need which is often.  The store that holds memories for so many people can no longer continue when a flood rushes through town. 

Molly and Ryan who found love at the The Bridge while in college only to be torn apart by Molly's wealthy and determined father, are at the center of the story.  When Charlie has an accident and the fate of the store rests on the brink of closure, The Bridge truly lives up to its name.  People walked across the bridge and came together to save the place where they learned to dream of far away places with their nose in a book. 

The Bridge is a sweet and powerful story about the grace of God and how the simplest of kind gestures can spread like wild fire.  I found the story too predictable.  I knew how it would turn out very early on.  Whenever that happens I lose interest.  Sometimes however, a break from heavy duty literature I usually read is just what I need. 

The Bridge is filled with the love of God.  Often we need to sit back from our busy and hectic lives and be reminded of that.   I have to admit at one point I cried reading about the magic and strength of a simple act of kindness. But the power of love is what we need to be reminded of.   The Bridge did just that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...