Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Beneath The Shadows by Sara Foster

Beneath The Shadows by Sara Foster

I've read about the moors in northern England but I've never seen them in all of my travels.  They are usually described as wet, foggy, and soupy.  And the moors always seem to be associated with ghosts or some equally spooky mystery. Beneath The Shadows is set in December so it's also cold and snowy, making the perfect recipe for suspense.

Beneath The Shadows doesn't disappoint when it comes to the moors and mystery.  Grace's husband, Adam mysteriously disappeared from their cottage in a small village in the moors, leaving their baby daughter, Millie on the front doorstep.  The mystery of his disappearance lingered unsolved.

A year has passed and Grace desperately wants to move on with her life and decides to return to the family cottage to live with Millie.  Talk of ghosts seems to  permeate every conversation.  Adam's grandmother had written a well known book on the subject. When her sister, Anabelle comes to visit she gets Ben, a local to give her a ghost tour of the area.  Grace has dreams of a black dog.  And the neighbor, Meredith tells tales of Timmy, a child haunting her home. 

Slowly Grace unravels the secrets that have been kept by the village.  In doing so she finds what has happened to Adam but not without exposing many other lies.  The author did a great job of building the tension.  I like a novel when I can't figure out what happens in advance.  I often thought the pacing however was off, speeding up and then slowing down to a snail's pace.  That's a small price since the story was told with emotion and kept me wondering until the end.  A good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...