Friday, January 15, 2010

My Progress

I appear to be doing pretty well with step number one.  Each morning when I wake and each night before I go to sleep I say to myself, "I am powerless over books and my life has become unmanageable."  I think it's helping.
I haven't been tempted to hang out in a bookstore lately.  Maybe that's because I'm working part-time now.  Less free time to fill.  I did find myself browsing the book section at Wal-Mart the other day.  Luckily it doesn't have nearly the sensual appeal of Books-A-Million.
I received a book in the mail from my sister called "Juicy Pens Thirsty Paper".  I'm anxious to read it but it means I have to add it to the pile of unread books.  The number just got larger instead of smaller.  Where is the step that says 'Beware of enablers'?
I feel that it's time to move on to step two.  'I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity'.  I think God's got his work cut out for Him! 

2 comments:

  1. I too, have a book to send to you from April via Beth. "The Other Boleyn Girl". It's a page turner and works well on a long airplane ride. I know it'll jump to the top of your unread pile, but it's worth the read. Maybe this means you should make reservations to go someplace!

    Coming to a mailbox near you soon! Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a hopeful author, I'm not sure I should be promoting the idea of a 12 step program for book addiction.

    That said, I can't help but ponder the possibility that this blog could result in a self help best seller (hardcover and trade paperback): "Flight From Literacy - the true story of one woman's epic struggle to control her addiction to words."

    ReplyDelete

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...