Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Empress by Shan Sa

Empress is a true story of a woman who ruled in China.  She had to be pretty special to achieve that title.  Women were meant to follow behind the man and serve his sexual needs.  When they weren't needed for that purpose, they sat around learning how to embroider.  Empress is full of ancient Chinese politics of slaves and concubines, and people all trying to make their way to the top inside the Forbidden City.  Each child born is given a name with special meaning to guide his or her life.  The color and style of clothing is carefully chosen for each event.  The jewels in the Empress' topknot send a message to her subjects.  It also has its fair share of attempted poisonings, banishments and beheadings.  I loved every minute of it but it's not for the faint of heart.

Somewhere in a past life I experienced all these things first hand.  I love the Chinese culture and love reading about it.  Empress is translated from Mandarin so again this book is not for everyone.  I've read many novels based in China over the years.  In fact Amy Tan and Lisa See are two of my favorite authors. Titles from both are waiting in the wings to be chosen from my list.  If you're looking for something different and exotic Empress may be it.  But be aware it takes deep concentration to make it through this story.

I rate Empress 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...