Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter

I know a few of my friends will scream and shout for joy when they read this blog post.  I skimmed most of this book.  There.  I said it.  I didn't actually read the entire book.  I gave up.  It was just too much for me.

Talcott or Tal or Misha or whatever his name was, bored me.  As a law professor he seemed so stupid.  As a father, a son, a husband he was also clueless.  And he talked on incessantly about why he was the way he was.  If he called his wife, Kimmer, mercurial, one more time, I thought I was going to die.

The Emperor of Ocean Park is over 600 pages long.  Each page is jam packed with big vocabulary describing the characters, the locations and the back story.  At first I thought I'd stick it out because the story itself intrigued me.  I did begin to tire early on of characters being described as either from the 'paler nation' or the 'darker nation'.  I really began to lose interest when I discovered that the last line of each chapter was a clue to solving the mystery.   I only needed to read the first paragraph of the next chapter to see where the clue was headed.

I read the book until about page 300, so halfway.  I was ready to put the book down and turn the bedside light out when I thought I should flip to the last chapter.  All the pieces to the puzzle were answered in about 3 pages.  It would be a waste of my time and energy to suffer through the endless pages since I now knew how it ended.

I rate this book 2 out of 5.   The author's style is repetitive and predictable.  I found my step-mother's signature on the front page with the year 2002.  I have a feeling she couldn't make it through this novel either that's why the book's been sitting on my shelf all these years.  I'm sending it back to her to be polite.  She'll give it away again, I'm sure of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...