Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is a very popular writer.  My niece will read only her novels.  I'd never read any of them and I figured I should give her a try.  Not knowing anything about her writing, I simply picked one.  The Tenth Circle.

I was surprised when I saw comic book pages scattered throughout.  What did I get myself into here?  Daniel Stone was the stay at home Dad slash comic book illustrator while Laura taught Dante at the local university.  Trixie, their daughter was a typical teenager experimenting with sex and alcohol.  I fully understand how a family can get caught up in a situation like this.  But the author took this family far beyond the extreme.  I could feel each characters pain and rage.  These were intelligent, educated  people.  Some of their actions were not believable.

The story was well written, interesting to read, a real page turner.  For me there were a few missing links.  We didn't know what Seth wanted to tell Laura until one sentence sneaked in the last ten pages.  I never got the connection of why Trixie went to Alaska and how her parents knew to follow her.  The whole premise of Daniel's upbringing in Alaska and why it changed him was vague.

I rate this book 3 out of 5.  I got it from Paperback Swap and fully intended to list it again until I realized this is an autographed copy.  I have a special section on my shelf for those volumes.  There The Tenth Circle will find its home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...