Friday, May 14, 2010

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

My heart be still.  Oh, Edgar.  When I first opened this book, I had no idea where this story would take me.  Yes, I'd heard about the dogs and a mute boy.  I looked at the 560 page novel and wondered how far an author could go with that as his premise.  He can go practically to the moon and back again and never once lose his grip on the reader.

This is a beautifully written, emotional tale full of love, evil and a splash of fantasy.  I love books that tap into my emotions, that make me think and feel.  I smelled the barn and felt the lick of the dogs on my face.  Edgar's pain as he tried to save his father tore at my heart.  I hiked through the woods beside him with wet clothes clinging to my body.  I was hungry when Edgar broke into cabins to find food after days without anything to eat.

The one very big unanswered question for me in the book was Claude.  Why did he feel the need to have this poison?  Why did he have to kill Gar?  The only insight we had into that was Trudy saying she never knew what came between her husband and his brother.  Claude went halfway around the world to get the poison but he didn't use it for close to thirty years.

I rate The Story of Edgar Sawtelle a 4 out of 5.  It's a wonderfully written story that grabs a reader by the heart and never lets go.  I was left with a broken heart, but I felt unsatisfied at the end.  That's the only thing keeping this book from my perfect rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...