Friday, May 28, 2010

Hot Time at the Ol' Bookstore Tonight

"Hey, Linda.  Wanna go to the bookstore with me?"  Richard asked.
"You're asking me?  That's a switch." I answered.

Richard is not much of a book reader.  Magazines are more his style.  Short. Sweet. And to the point.  He knows how I love my books and I think he likes being around them too.  He just doesn't read them.
I love to have company on my treks to the store.  It keeps me from buying anything.  I'm a closet addict.  I don't want anyone to know.  I can act like it's no big deal while my insides are being ripped apart.  I can look and drool and look some more and never pick up a new title as long as I'm not alone.

"Show me that Chicken Soup book while we're there, OK?"

Not being a reader, Richard wasn't familiar with the Chicken Soup series.  One of my stories had recently been accepted by Chicken Soup for the Soul.  I was on cloud nine and Richard would be too once he held it in his hands for real.

Once in the store I went to the Chicken Soup section and picked a few titles that I thought would interest Richard.  I took them over to where he was sitting reading some interior design magazines.
"Wow.  I'm impressed," as he flipped through one of the books.  "Show me where these are."

We walked across the bookstore.  Chicken Soup titles had an entire shelf all to themselves.  Now he was really impressed.
 
"I'm proud of you," he said as he patted me on the back.  "Are you ready to go?"

We headed toward the front door.  "Whoa.  Wait a minute.  What's this?"  Richard made a sudden stop in a section labeled 'Sexuality'.  He pulled a book off the shelf titled 'How to Give Great Oral Sex'.
"You never told me they sold stuff like this here," his eyes glued to the pages of the book. It was a picture book.

"They have ten different versions of the Karma Sutra.  Which one do you want?" I asked.
"Karma Sutra.  That's old," he replied still never lifting his gaze from the page.

Finally he put the exotic book back in it's place.  "I'm done reading magazines.  I'm going to hang out here more often." He paused to see what else looked interesting.

"Good.  Now I don't have to be tempted by coming here alone."  I gave him a hug since my arms were empty.  "Let's go home."

"What are we going to do when we get there?" he asked with a wink and a twinkle in his eye.  "Read a book?"

"Let's go home and find out." I answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...