Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Breakthrough of Sorts

To my followers it may appear that I've been reading at a frenetic pace lately.  Well maybe I have.  That list seems oh so long and frankly I'm a person who likes to finish things.  Lately I've discovered too many unfinished projects on my desk.  I feel buried when that happens.  I don't like feeling buried.

I've had several breakthroughs of sorts in the past couple weeks.  A friend mentioned that she kept a list of books she wanted to read in her purse.  When she was ready to get a new book, she knew exactly what to buy.  I've now done the same.  I started a list of books that call to me while I'm in the bookstore.  They'll still be there the next time I visit and might even be in paperback by then.  This method seems to have taken the urgency out of buying a book when I see it.  I've been to several bookstores since I started doing this and have been able to resist by just by jotting down a note.

I've also been looking for new avenues to recycle the books that I want to pass along.  I love to give books to people who don't have the resources to have new books.  Sure there is always the library but there is something about reading a book that has been read with love and comes with a built in recommendation.  And sometimes it's about having something to read be accessible, within reach like already being on the living room shelf.  I send books to my niece, my step-daughter, a high school teacher who keeps a library in her classroom.  Now I'm adding our troops to my list.  There are several organizations online that need volunteers to send books and supplies to soldiers overseas.  I'm signing up.

The real breakthrough is that when I find a good book, I fall in love with it.  As a writer I want to write like that.  As a reader I want to laugh, cry, get mad and feel emotion.  That's what makes a good book.  It will be something totally different for you.  What you love, I may think is tasteless.  What I love, you may think is boring.  No matter what, it made both of us think.  That's the beauty of the written word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...