Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Summons to New Orleans by Barbara Hall

This book came to me via my friend, April.  I believe that the author is a friend of hers.  Knowing that I'm an author myself, she lent it to me.  It's been on my shelf for over six months.  A newbie in comparison to many others. 
It pains me to say, since the book is written by a friend of a friend,  I didn't really like this story at all.  Nora is the most believable character of them all.  But even she is a bit strange.  A taxi driver, Leo saves her from being mugged.  It turns out he was in love with Poppy, Nora's college friend.  Both of the women have been summoned to New Orleans for what they think is a vacation.  Instead it's to support Simone at her rape trial.  I couldn't sympathize with Simone because there was nothing about her that made me feel she'd been raped.  She was going to go home even before a verdict was reached.  And the whole story line that Poppy was crazy and that her father had buried a baby in the basement of their home was too over the top in the scheme of things.  Even more so when she dug up cat bones instead.
Poppy's estranged husband, Adam was so flat that in the end maybe Nora deserved him.  The characters were uninteresting and disjointed from the entire story.
I'll rate this one 2 out of 5 books and it's on its way back to April 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...