Sunday, October 7, 2012

Today's a Busy Day

Today is a very busy day.

Noon  Baseball!  Detroit and Oakland.  My grandparents used to listen to the Tiger games on the radio. Baseball is so much better on television.

3 pm Baseball!  Washington and St Louis.  The Nationals have spring training right here in my back yard.  If they go all the way this year, I want to be first in line for season tickets.  I'll walk to the stadium and watch them play.

5:30 pm  Pick up the $8 large pizza Sunday special for dinner and stop at Publix for buy one get one free ice cream on sale.

6 pm  Baseball!  Yankees and the Orioles.  I'm not a Yankees fan but it's always fun to watch A Rod and Cheater Jeter.  I am, however, a Tampa Bay Rays fan. In a game against the Rays, Jeter claimed hit by a pitch when the ball hit the end of the bat, not his hands.  He also hit his 3000th run against the Rays.  I'm disappointed the Rays didn't make it to the playoffs but they wouldn't be the team they are without competition from the Yankees.

7 pm   Sink into the sofa after a satisfying junk food dinner.

8:30 pm   SpaceX, the private space firm is launching a rocket to take supplies to the International Space Station.  A rocket launch at night is not to be missed.  Plus the noise will be so loud I won't be able to hear the television anyway.

Uh oh!  Looks like I'm double booked.

9 pm   Baseball! Reds and Giants.

9 pm   Boardwalk Empire.  I am a huge Nucky fan.  And at this point, Atlantic City gangsters may be a welcome diversion.  There'll be more baseball tomorrow night and I can watch HBO on demand if the games goes to extra innings.

10 pm  Fall into bed, exhausted. Even when the Rays play on the west coast, I can't stay up past ten to watch.  If I did, I'd be useless tomorrow when there's even more baseball.

I love baseball and post season baseball is exciting to say the least. A pitcher with a $100 million contract couldn't help his team get back on a winning track. Fans threw bottles on the field hitting players in the outfield when they didn't like the umpire's call. I've also never seen the infield fly ball rule enforced, which the critics say was called in the outfield. Missed plays and stolen bases kept me on the edge of my seat. That was only the wild card games.

And if anyone thinks baseball doesn't have a heart, they didn't see a relief pitcher strike out a batter, playing in a game only a few days after the death of his infant son.

People often say watching baseball is like watching paint dry.  Well, they haven't watched baseball lately.  I guess they're too busy watching paint dry.  Baseball is keeping me busy today and I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...