Thursday, October 11, 2012

I Voted Today

I voted today. Safe and snug in my own home I cast my ballot.  You may ask why I voted by absentee ballot when I wasn't away from home. 

I'm from Florida and during the 2000 election between Bush and Gore, I lived and voted in Palm Beach County, the center of the chaos.  Hanging chads.  I'm sure I left a few in my day.  Butterfly ballots.  I still have the sample ballot that was mailed to voters that year by the Supervisor of Election.  The picture of that judge's eyeball examining a punch card ballot is ingrained in my brain.

Ever since I've gotten an absentee ballot.  I like it that way.  I don't feel rushed into deciphering all the legalese in the amendments.  Why can't it be written in plain English?  It takes me awhile to figure out if yes means yes or yes means no. I like to think I'm a fairly informed voter but when I read the ballot I think that I'm not.  The words are confusing.

The most interesting thing that I wasn't aware of, was there are plenty more people running for President other than Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. One set of names got me thinking.

Did you know that Roseanne Barr is running for President?  She lost the nomination of the Green Tea Party and moved over to the Peace and Freedom Party.  Her platform is to end the money system as we know it and convert to barter.  We'll grow vegetables in our backyard and trade them for whatever we need like electricity or wine or a night out at the movies.  She wants to legalize marijuana and annex Mexico to stop people from coming here illegally. They'll be one of us already. Plus Mexico's got oil.  And she's against marriage of any kind. Interesting.
 
Her running mate is Cindy Sheehan, the well known anti war activist who camped out at President Bush's Texas ranch.  I understand her personal pain but was that really an effective way to facilitate change?  

Now that I've had a chance to study other presidential platforms, Romney and Obama don't look so bad.  But who to choose?  I still don't know but I thank God for being an American.  And for hanging chads so I can decide in the comfort of my own home. Maybe I'll light up a joint while I color in the little black circles and hope that on November 7th, I'll be able to do that legally.  Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...