Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Shelter by Harlan Coben

Shelter by Harlan Coben

I've never read Harlan Coben.  I'm not much of a mystery, thriller reader but he is a staple in writing seminars because of his engaging storytelling and brilliant use of words.

The other day Richard wanted to go to the bookstore and I am always in on that field trip.  He sat down to read a magazine and I grabbed Shelter off the table and sat down with him.  The very first sentence had me hooked.  And I mean hooked.  Got me! Reel me in!

I couldn't leave the store without the book.  Richard must have seen the glow of excitement in my eyes.  He took a ten dollar bill out of his wallet.  That never happens especially in a bookstore since he knows how many books already line our shelves at home. Once I got it home, I couldn't put it down.

Mickey Bolitar has lost his father in a car accident, his mother is in rehab and his girlfriend is missing.  He's still trying to fit in at his new high school.  Living in the basement at Uncle Myron's house, the house his father grew up in, spurs him to look for answers to his life.

Mickey is a cool kid.  I couldn't help but love him.  He's teased and bullied for making friends with Ema, a sharp witted girl who's overweight on on the outs with the popular crowd.  And then there's Spoon.   Spoon dishes out all kinds of useless trivia.  He's not part of the in crowd either.  Together the trio sets out to find Ashley, Mickey's girlfriend.  The team, I have to admit is quite resourceful. 

Their search leads them to the Bat Lady, who according to local legend, terrorizes children from her dilapidated house on the corner.  The trail takes them to a sleazy strip joint in the inner city where all hell breaks loose.  But in the end, the road reveals to Mickey a very dark secret about his past and how it will shape his future. 

I loved Shelter. Did some parts seem a little hokey to me? Yes. But Mickey, Ema and Spoon were such a delightful trio of characters, I didn't mind.  There's a sequel coming.  I'll be ready and I hope the cover also sports an intriguing pair of emerald green eyes that follow me wherever I go.  Those eyes are why I didn't have a chance of leaving Shelter behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...