Tuesday, October 30, 2012

For A Limited Time

In Florida we don't have changing colored leaves in autumn.  In fact we don't really know when fall arrives.  A date on the calendar doesn't help much because it can be 90 degrees outside in the middle of September during the Autumnal Solstice.  That's the time I start craving candy corn.  But when the temperature moves downward, indicating the shift to winter, my appetite adjusts.

It all started with a pumpkin bagel from Panera.  Tired of my usual morning pancakes, Richard brought home a pumpkin bagel dusted with powdered sugar.  Slightly toasted in the toaster with a spread of butter.  Yum.  He immediately called Panera and ordered 2 dozen more for pickup the next morning.

Keep in mind that I still haven't lost the five pounds I gained last Christmas, so I try to be mindful of what I eat even though I've been unsuccessful at losing any weight for almost a year.  One morning while Richard was still sleeping, I got up and took a pumpkin bagel out of the freezer, popped it in the toaster and enjoyed.  Richard still slept and the bagel so delicious, I got another one, fixed it to my liking and relished every single bite.  God, it was delicious!  

When Richard finally got up, he said, " I have to admit something."

"What?" I asked.

"When I got up this morning I ate a pumpkin bagel.  It was so good and you were still asleep so I ate a second one.  Then I went back to bed."

I started to laugh, "I did the same thing."

Every since then I want to eat anything pumpkin. My pumpkin craving won't subside so I sneaked out of the house for pumpkin frozen yogurt at Redberry praying they haven't swapped out my favorite flavor.  Mix in the broken waffle cones and some chocolate sprinkles. Mmmm.  

Every week Richard checks the grocery store circular for sales.  The grocery store featured pumpkin pie. After much discussion in the middle of the bakery,  Richard and I  decided we didn't need the extra calories.  I walked past the freezer case and saw limited edition pumpkin ice cream.  Richard and I lingered in front of the freezer much longer than we did over the pie.  But again we decided it wasn't a good idea for our health. I think about that ice cream all the time. I wonder how long it will stay on the shelf.  What does limited edition really mean? It's only a matter of time before I give in. I can feel it in my bones.

I did however, make my way to the dairy case for the pumpkin spice coffee creamer.  Usually I buy the peppermint but now it's available year round, it's lost some of its appeal.


We're almost out of pumpkin bagels.    If we eat them all, then there'll be room to stock up on pie and ice cream and coffee creamer and anything else pumpkin that turns up for a limited time. So much for losing those pesky five pounds before Christmas. I think they're here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...