Saturday, December 4, 2010

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji

What a wonderful insight into the life and culture of Iran under the Shah.  As Americans this is a part of world that is a mystery to us. And guess what?  We are a mystery to them too.

This story is narrated by a teenage Pasha, struggling to find himself as a man during the early 1970's in Tehran.  He is coming of age, learning how to shave, playing soccer in the alley and falling in love all under the stars on the roof of his family's home. When he unwittingly leads the secret police toward his friend and mentor, Doctor, Pasha's life is shattered.  

Rooftops of Tehran is beautifully written and emotionally charged. I loved the comparisons of the middle eastern and western cultures.  I was heartbroken by the oppressive political environment Pasha and his family were forced to live under.  All in all this novel is a well rounded and interesting story about a time and place I find fascinating and mysterious.  I rate Rooftops of Tehran a 4 out of 5.  Well worth the time to expand your heart and open your mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...