Friday, December 31, 2010

To I Pad or Not, That is the Question.

I've been miserable that past week listening to everyone talk about their new Kindles, Nooks and Ipads.  I'm so jealous I've turned green with envy. I want one so badly.

I made a vow to read all those books and I've read alot of them. Forty to be exact out of a list that now has 103 entries.  Do I still have trouble resisting new titles when I visit the bookstore? Yes!  That's one of the reasons the list has grown during the year.  When I read about new novels in the newspaper or magazines, I want to rush out and buy them.  Partly because I love reading and partly because I'm a writer searching for insight into the reading public.

My sister, Martha says it's time for me to start pitching so I can move on to more current things.  It's really difficult for me to throw out a book or not finish one even if I don't like it.  But I making progress in that regard.  Recently I stopped reading two books midstream.  I found them both to be real slogs.  The real breakthrough however was with my copy of "Uncle Tom's Cabin".  I adore reading the classics and thought I should get ready for my appearance on Jeopardy by reading this.  Those contestants are always so well read.  Every time it came up on my list, I skipped over it for something else.

A few weeks ago I logged on to Paperback Swap.  It's a site for swapping books and if you've never heard of it, please check it out.  Low and behold someone had Uncle Tom's Cabin on their wishlist.  Without a moment's hesitation I offered up my copy and the reader accepted it.  So off it went in the mail to someone who really wanted to read it.  I made someone happy and my list is shorter.  Progress is good.

I'm yearning to be in and have an e-reader though.  I know I could very easily download any book on my shelf in an electronic version.  If I could carry it with me, I might read through the list faster.  I hesitate not only because of the cost of the reader, ( I really want the ipad but at $500 it's even harder to justify when I'm making $10 hour) but because of the cost of paying a second time for books I already own.

I've learned so much about myself doing this exercise this year, I see no reason to stop. And if the only dilemma I take into the new year is whether or not I can splurge on some new electronic device, then I'm a lucky person indeed.

Here's wishing all of you a healthy, happy and prosperous year in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...