Monday, December 14, 2009

The Power Book by Jeanette Winterson

I picked up this book during a vacation to Key West a couple years ago. I'd found my way into an old book store in town, stuffed to the rafters with new and used books. Tables, shelves and racks overflowing with something to delight anyone. A book addict's dream come true!
I found this book tucked away on shelf in the back of the store. At eye level showing pinks and reds on the spine, I removed it from it's space. I was intrigued by the title and the description of 'computers meet human beings'. But the cover tugged at my soul. The dust cover displays tulips of silky soft colors in a variety of stages of bloom. Tulips are my absolute favorites. Being that I live in Florida, the chances of me growing any in the yard are non-existent. It never gets cold enough to freeze the bulb. A tulip will instantly attract me however, every time. I don't recall even opening this book. The cover had me at hello.
Winterson does an excellent job crafting this story. The prose is beautiful and creative. It's the kind of story telling I strive for in my own ability to perfect the craft. But personally when it comes to the plot, I just didn't get it. I like to know who is who and where they are when I read a book. Just when I thought I'd figured out this was a story of a man and a woman, I find out it's two women. I wanted the story to end yet I wanted more. What I learned as a writer is that it's time for me to get out of my box. I learned the true meaning of the old writing adage, 'show don't tell'. And I learned I need to broaden my reading horizons.
The Power Book is well worth the time to experience something new and thought provoking in a novel. I'd rate this novel 3 1/2 out of 5 books. It's not on my list of keepers. I think the local library will be the lucky recipient. This story is meant to be shared.
Next up. Gods in Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...