Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Story Behind the Story

I'm a book addict, plain and simple. Some people are addicted to drugs or sex or chocolate. For me it's a book. I love to be surrounded by them, touch them, flip through their pages, savoring each and every detail. For me a trip to the bookstore is like being a kid in a candy store, so many choices, so little money.
Sadly in 2009 my husband and I both lost our jobs. Now a trip to the bookstore is pure, unadulterated torture. During a recent visit Richard had to drag me out the door kicking and screaming unwilling to part with my armload of new books. The smell, the crackle of untouched paper, the words calling out to me, I had to have them. I lost that battle needless to say. It wasn't pretty.
Just because I love to buy books doesn't necessarily mean I read them. My shelves are full of unread books. Seventy six to be exact. Plus two more that I know I want to read but have been missing since we moved last January.
I titled this blog The Story Behind the Story because I remember each book and why I have it. So here's my goal. I promise not to buy another book until I have read all that are on my shelf. If I succeed, next Christmas I'll treat myself to an electronic reader. I'll have a whole year to figure out which one I want.
I will post a review of each book I read. I'll tell you the story behind the story and the disposition of the book. The people and places that receive my recycled books have their own story too.
All of this is in the name of curing my addiction, sharing what I have with others and learning something about myself along the way. My own little way of putting myself through a 12 step program.

2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea. I can't wait to read the first story behind book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're doing this! I know you were bothered by your book addiction on the cruise because you kept crying out in your sleep, "My darling books.I will read you all some day! I promise. Wait for me!" Can't wait to read the reviews. I just unloaded over 400 books at Powells and the library. I never thought of giving them to new special owners. Hmmmm. Next time.

    ReplyDelete

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...