Saturday, December 26, 2009

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

I believe that Gods in Alabama came to me from one sister via another sister. One loved it, one didn't get it. Being that we are sisters, I find myself somewhere in the middle.
As a teenager, Arlene Fleet makes a pact with God. She stops lying and having sex if He will make sure her crime of murder is never uncovered. She leaves her 'do no wrong' cousin Clarice, demanding Aunt Florence and her mentally out of touch mother far behind. When she can't hide any longer, she tells God all bets are off and returns to her roots in Alabama. With her boyfriend,Burr, who happens to be African American.
The pace is lively and the prose is intriguing. The characters come to life as Arlene confronts her demons once and for all. Burr becomes the voice of calm and reason as the wild ride through her past begins.
I laughed out loud remembering my own teenage years. The author's description of their home, possessions, and fashion made them come to life again for me. I'll rate it 4 out of 5 books. Gods in Alabama is a delightful read that will keep you guessing until the end.
I'm all out of sisters, so in order to keep this book in the family, it's going to Becky, my niece. She's a voracious reader who will enjoy the Southern antics of Gods in Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...