Friday, June 19, 2015

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Cujo was the last Stephen King novel I remember reading.  It came out in 1982. The story scared the holy crap out of me and I don't like being scared.  I steer clear of any zombies, Freddie Kruger, or Texas Chainsaw massacres. Even though Stephen King is an American treasure, I hope reading a good book will tap into my emotions, but not have me checking the locks on all my doors and windows. I've stayed away from all things Stephen King all this time.   

Deciding it was time for something new, I opened up Mr. Mercedes.  Kermit William Hodges is an overweight, retired detective who suddenly only has the television and his gun for company.  A cold case where a man wearing a clown mask, driving a stolen gray Mercedes plowed into a line of people waiting to enter a job fair, gnaws in Bill's gut. Several were killed, and more were maimed.  Against his better judgement, he sets out to solve the case.

What I realized by page two, is that Stephen King is a brilliant writer.  I was blown away by the telling of this story.  King's writing is earthy, no frills and only a few big, complex words sprinkled in so they were easy to pass over. But make no mistake, Mr. Mercedes is a creepy, edge of your seat, evil thriller.  I couldn't put it down.  One night when I couldn't stop turning the pages, I had to force myself to put my Kindle down or be useless at work the next day.  But my mind had been worked into such a frenzy, I couldn't sleep anyway.  I sat up in bed and read some more. 

It's good to get out of your comfort zone every now and then.  Mr. Mercedes took me to places I never knew existed and where I never want to go again.  The sequel is out now, Finder's Keepers, and I can't wait to find out what happens next.  But I'll read it with the lights on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...