Saturday, June 6, 2015

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

I 've never really thought of myself as a serial reader.  Plenty of people I know read the same author's novels never sticking their toe into other waters.  I've taken pride in reading a variety of authors, topics and genres.  That is until I found Liane Moriarty. 

I liked The Hypnotist's Love Story, I loved What Alice Forgot and I adored The Husband's Secret.  It was a no brainer for me to read Big Little Lies. However, after reading the first few chapters of Big Little Lies, I was ready to throw in the towel. The strong-willed Australian women, who were trying so hard not to lead ordinary lives, left me uninterested this time.

Madeline is turning forty and although she wants everyone to know she hates getting old, she secretly loves all the attention.  While stopped in traffic, she gets out of her car to yell at a teenager who is texting and driving.  Her high heel catches in the pavement, she falls twisting her ankle.  Jane watches from behind the wheel of her own car and comes to the rescue.  Both, it turns out are on their way to kindergarten orientation at the same school with their children in tow. 

Now I've never been able to stop reading a book midstream no matter how much I hated it.  But I'm beginning to get a bit more discerning after being caught in a long string of really bad books I wasted alot of time on and didn't enjoy. I came so close to closing the door on this one but that little voice inside told me to keep going.  And I'm glad I listened to it.

There are no spoilers here but Big Little Lies struck a chord. Although women have come a long way in our society, we still have a long way to go.  Liane Moriarty put her own comedic spin on a very serious subject and anyone who reads this novel will remember it for a long time to come.  Today I'm an even bigger fan knowing there are more Moriarty novels waiting for me. But most of all, I'm glad I can add Big Little Lies to my list of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...