Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Splendid Gift by Alyson Richman

A Splendid Gift by Alyson Richman

I first read The Little Prince in Mr. Marapodi's high school French class.  At sixteen however, the story's message of life was largely lost on me.  The assignment was simply a means to an end, a grade on my report card.

I'm grown up now and have read The Little Prince in English many times, loving it more each time.  So when I read the blurb for A Splendid Gift, I was sure I wanted to read it.  Alyson Richman chooses interesting and unusual story lines which also capture my attention. 

Silvia Hamilton sets her sights on Saint Exupery at a party in New York City, setting their love affair in motion.  Saint Exupery is struggling to write, to deal with his turbulent marriage and somehow win the war for France.  Silvia is able to bring him a sense of calm if only for the little time they are able to spend together. 

A Splendid Gift is a novella.  For me, it was just not enough.  This is a beautiful, intriguing story set with a backdrop of war.  As a reader, I felt I was only seeing a very shallow view of the characters and their faults. I wanted more depth from this story and it ended far too soon.  A Splendid Gift is written in a wonderful Richman style, but it left me wanting so much more from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...