Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

Hey!  Did you miss me?  We've got lots of catching up to do.  2014 was a year full of changes and at times I found it tough keeping up.  A new year, 2015, gives me time to catch my breath, reflect and dump all the baggage  I've been carting around.  Here's what 2014 had in store for me.

I spent the first three and a half months giving tax advice.  I loved this job even though for most of that time I was glued into my office chair.  People ask a variety of questions, which I am happy to answer.  And the best one for 2014, is "I have a cafeteria plan.  Does that mean I can deduct my son's lunch money?"  I put the phone on mute before I laughed out loud. 

May saw the release of my story, Under a Lucky Star, in Chicken Soup for the Soul, Home Sweet Home.   I also entered a story in the Florida Writer's Association contest which ultimately was selected to be published in their annual collection. 

In June I returned to work full time.  I was offered a job at a small brokerage firm as a sales assistant.  And it was an offer including benefits that I couldn't refuse.  It meant getting my Series 7 license which I grossly underestimated.  After all I'm already a CPA, so how hard could the test be?  Let's just say it was hard. The older you get, the more difficult taking a test becomes.  I got over that hurdle however, and now I'm moving on to an insurance license. 

In August, Richard and I headed out on vacation in Maine.  I'm just in love with Maine so we made a return visit this year.  Did you know it is the only state with only one syllable in its name?  Maine has the ocean, lobster, mountains, lobster, boats and more lobster.  We visited Acadia National Park, went lobstering and hiked out to a lighthouse.  What's not to love? And the lobster is cheap!

My step mother, June fell and broke her hip in September.  I have been in a fog of worry, doctors, hospitals, Medicare and nursing homes ever since.  What I have been through trying to make sure she is properly cared for is a story for another day.  Let's just say the system is broken. 

Now I have arrived at 2015 wondering what this new year will bring.  My hope is that I will lose 20 pounds, write the next great American novel, and live in a world of peace and harmony for everyone.  I say thank you everyday for all the blessings in my life.  My outlook is rosy.

Happy New Year to you all!  Sending love, peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...