Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

Ellen is a hypnotist with a thriving private practice.  She takes her work quite seriously even though many people around her don't.  Tired of being alone, she dips her toes into Internet dating and finds Patrick.  Patrick has all the qualities Ellen is looking for in a man.  Unfortunately, he also comes with some pretty heavy baggage.  He has a stalker.

Saskia, his stalker,  is obsessed with Patrick and his son Jack.  Never having been able to get over their breakup, she follows Patrick everywhere. Ellen becomes fascinated with Saskia and her fascination grows at the same pace as her love for Patrick and Jack.  She has found her soulmate, suitcase and all.

Ellen believed in mind over matter which she practiced daily . Saskia complained of debilitating leg pain which no doctor had been able to cure.  Once Ellen found the opportunity to work her magic on Saskia, her pain disappeared.  I too, suffer from sciatica but after I read The Hypnotist's Love Story, the pain seems to have lessened.  Maybe I've been hypnotized too! A good novel can have that effect on me.

The Hypnotist's Love Story is filled with twists and turns and subtle hints that make this story an intriguing puzzle.  Lingering behind each scene is the question of whether Ellen is using her skill as a hypnotist to make things go her way or letting life happen naturally. That is the mystery of the novel. Ms. Moriarty is expert keeping the reader turning pages.

Lots of people I know like to read all the books by one favorite author.  I'm not much of a serial reader really.  My tastes in books are pretty eclectic, the classics, the hottest best sellers, a few indie titles and just about anything that's selling for $3.99 or less in the Kindle Store.  Since I've read three Liane Moriarty novels and enjoyed them all, she might just be turning me into a serial reader. The Hypnotist's Love Story didn't disappoint and left me dreaming for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...