Monday, August 9, 2010

The Power of Love

I'm in Portland, Oregon, sitting in the living room of my dear friend, Samantha typing this posting.  I've spent the past three days at the Willamette Writers Conference having the time of my life.  Why do I come all the way to Oregon, you might ask.  Aside from the fact that Portland is as opposite as Florida, as is possible, the answer is quite simple.

Over a year ago, I set down a new path in my life.  I'd heard about a transatlantic writing cruise and signed on.  I spent two wonderful weeks at sea learning, writing and traveling on the ocean blue.  A perfect combination.

I, being the lone Floridian in the writing class easily became fast friends with all the Oregonians.  It was as if we'd known each other all our lives.  Now once a year I travel 3000 miles to recharge, refresh and energize.  My good friend and mentor, Samantha opened her guest room to me.   My teacher, Cynthia smiled from ear to ear as she reached out to hug me.  Each time I ran into another 'waver' as we call ourselves, Inez, or Billie or Nan and the mother daughter team of Valleta and Kristy, we'd tremble with excitement in anticipation of the big warm hug we each wrapped around the other.

People I'd met by chance, by fate, by design.  The power of their love, their strength and encouragement will stay with me, warming my heart, lifting me up when I feel down, patting me on the back for a whole year until I can hear their voices, give them a hug and feel their love once again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...