Sunday, August 29, 2010

The List

After writing each book review, I take a look at my list.  My list is an excel spreadsheet of all the books I set out to read as part of this project.  In alphabetical order.

As I read each book I carefully log the date and the rating and who I sent the book to by highlighting the row in a bright blue.  I chose blue because blue is the color of the throat chakra for communication. I'm a writer, a reader, and I have to open myself up to communication in all possible ways.

My method of book selection up until now has been to draw the titles out of a hat.  That way all the books have a fair shake at being read and are not subject to my mood of the moment.  I've learned that many of the books on my shelf appealed to me for a nanosecond when I absolutely had to have them, and that feeling faded quite quickly the minute I took them home.

There is another interesting side to me.  I'm a Certified Public Accountant.  I like order.  Looking at my spreadsheet with a mumbo jumbo of white rows mixed with blue is making me nuts.  Five white rows, one blue, two white, three blue.  Instead of the luck of the draw, I'm now setting out to fill in the blocks of white rows sandwiched in between two blue rows.  I want to visualize larger chunks of blue so that I'll feel like I'm accomplishing more.  Right now I'm reading The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer.  It landed in between The Tenth Circle and Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Oh crap!  While looking more closely at my list, I see that I've written 'There' instead of 'Their'.  Now I'll have to re-sort the list, creating new blocks for me to deal with.  That's OK I guess.  I just had my head all wrapped around the other way.

So much for all that order I wanted out of my orderly accountant mind.   I messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...