Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser

The Swan House has a title and a cover that drew me in.  I imagined this story to be about an old, possibly deserted mansion with secrets to hide.  This book has plenty of secrets but none were about the house.  In fact the house really didn't have much to do with the story.  I felt the title was out of place.

The Swan House is a Christian fiction novel.  If I had known that I might never have bought it.  Not that I'm not a Christian, I am but it's not the kind of fiction I typically care to read.  And I'm not adverse to the message of the love of Jesus.  I love Jesus and have a deep and rewarding relationship with God.  The message doesn't appeal to me when delivered as fiction.  I have plenty of religious and spiritual books on my list that I want to read to learn and grow on my own personal path.

Mary Swan is a charming and talented 16 year old in the 1960's.  She loses her mother in a plane crash and finds herself as she searches to uncover her mother's secrets.  This novel is steeped in the racial discord of the era.  The author paints a picture of poverty, hate and the power of love.

The Swan House is well written.  It was too long however.  At least 100 pages could have been edited out.  I did finish it.  I'm not a quitter.  I might have skimmed a little bit toward the end.  I listened to the message and felt a little bit closer to God.  I rate this book a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...