Sunday, March 21, 2010

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

Same Kind of Different as Me is a Ginger pick.  I remember buying this book at Books A Million and then putting it on the shelf when something I thought looked more interesting came along.  The bottom shelf.  I call it a Ginger pick since there were many other books on that bottom shelf and she selected this one to use as a chew toy.  Once I retrieved it from her, I examined it and deemed it still readable.  Back on the shelf it went.  A higher shelf this time.

As I turned each page the book crackled as teeth marks separated.  The noise added a new dimension to the usual silence of reading.  This is a true story of a wealthy art dealer from Texas and the bond he developed with a homeless man named Denver.  Deborah is Ron's kind an loving wife who drags him kicking and screaming to serve meals at the homeless shelter. 

Deborah's story is told through the eyes of Ron and Denver.  Her kindness and compassion is felt in different ways by the men who loved her.  Ron loved her from the moment he laid eyes on her and made her his wife.  Denver loved her for never passing judgment on the homeless people she tirelessly served.  She died never losing faith in either of them.  They let her go to God knowing she was never far away from them. 

Same Kind of Different as Me made me cry and helped me to understand the power of God and the love He wants us to have in our lives.  He also has lessons for each of us that we need to learn.  Ginger knew what she was doing when she picked this book for me.  I needed a little kick to plant my feet back on the ground.  This was just the ticket. 

It has to go in the trash however, since the cover is missing and one pretty crucial page inside.  The corners are worn and there are teeth marks galore!  I rate this book 4 out of 5.  It's worth it to get your own copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...