Friday, November 9, 2018

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I'm always looking at book blogs and book club lists searching for something my own book club would enjoy.  I stubbled across this title on Reese Witherspoon's list.  Even though I enjoy her work as an actress, I never thought I'd be considering any of her choices for books.  Until now.

Where The Crawdads Sing is a beautifully written story of Kya, a girl who lives alone in the march in North Carolina, having been abandoned by her family. One by one she watches first her mother, then her brother and finally her father walk down the sandy path never to return.  Knowing the secrets of the marsh, Kya manages to elude all the truant officers and social workers who come looking for her.  She scrapes by collecting mussels and smoking fish to sell to Jumpin' in his backwoods general store.

Until one day she meets Tate, a boy who loves the marsh as much as Kya.  He teaches her to read and write using discarded biology and math books he took from school.  Their loves blooms until he too, leaves her without an explanation.

Woven into the love story is the murder of another boy from town who also betrays Kya.  The two storylines move seamlessly through the book converging in a trial.  The prose is gorgeous in this book. For that reason alone, it's worth reading.  But Kya is a very dynamic character the reader can't help falling in love with.  She's never felt love in her own life and against all odds she learns to stand on her own two feet.

Reese got this one right.  I'll be looking for more great reads on her list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...