Saturday, November 3, 2018

Sister Mother Husband Dog by Delia Ephron

Sister Mother Husband Dog by Delia Ephron

I'm not sure how this title ended up on my reading list.  The Ephron sisters are all talented writers so I must have read a good review or two about it.  I'm always interested in learning how to write from people who have had success at writing.

Sister Mother Husband Dog is a group of personal stories and essays about Delia Ephron's life.  It starts out with one about her dog, Honey, who is eating her paw.  The doggie dermatologist puts Honey on a diet of kangaroo to combat food sensitivities.  I liked the story about Honey.

Then the stories became all about Nora.  Delia really wanted to convey how much she loved Nora and how sad it was that she died.  I'm sure she does love her sister, but page after page after page about how Delia took the backseat to Nora's great success led me to the conclusion that maybe she was more than just a little bit jealous of Nora.  I started skimming I became so bored with all the whining.

The most interesting essay in the book was about Delia's mother.  Now she was a bitter and interesting character who drank herself to death while her children watched.  It showed insight into alcoholism and its effect on children who are unable to escape from its daily grip.  I wish she'd written more about her mother, but I know from my own experience it's not easy especially when the relationship between mother and daughter is rocky at best.

The book contained very little about the husband, in fact I don't even recall his name.  And after Honey's grand debut, she even fell into the shadows.  Maybe Delia made herself feel better by writing this book and even though it was a quick read, I wished I'd spent my time reading something more engaging and interesting. The only thing good about Sister Mother Husband Dog was it passed the time on a long plane ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...