Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

Lo Blacklock wakes up from an alcoholic binge to find her flat is being burgled.  That's how they say it in Britain.  He slams the bedroom door, cutting her cheek and locking her in before running off with her purse, phone and money.  If all that wasn't traumatic enough, she's only a few days away from a journalistic assignment for a travel magazine aboard a luxury yacht.  Her boss is ill and she's been asked to take her place, a real coup if Lo is ever going to make her way up the corporate ladder.

Once onboard, Lo's labeled as paranoid when she thinks she's seen a body being tossed overboard in the middle of the night.  Thus unfolds the drama of wealth, risk, illicit affairs and murder, all the components of a good mystery.

Yes, I've read other reviews from readers who were turned off by the constant use of alcohol and drugs and feeling like crap all the time.  I understand that, but if Lo was on top of her game at all times, what kind of page turning, tension filled novel would be left.  I've read other books by Ruth Ware and she's a master at building stress and anxiety that leave the reader tense and wanting more.

I enjoyed The Woman in Cabin 10.  I even stayed up reading past my usual bedtime to find out what happened.  It's a high anxiety story that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...