Saturday, September 1, 2018

Laugh Out Loud: 40 Women Humorists Celebrate Then and Now

Laugh Out Loud: 40 Women Humorists Celebrate Then and Now Before We Forget

I regularly enter the Erma Bombeck writing contest put on by the University of Dayton. I have yet to win or even place but still hold out hope that one year I'll create the perfect funny essay that will wow the judges. 

When I received an email asking me to read this book, I jumped at it. Why wouldn't I? I'm well over 40 and I still remember rotary phones, rolling my hair on orange juice cans and wearing garter belts to hold up my nylon hosiery. Throw in night sweats and hot flashes and I was all in. None of these things were especially funny when they were happening but time between then and now has turned them into fair game.

The first few stories reminded me of some things from my youth that I had forgotten like Jean Nate and having my ears pierced. I got a chuckled out of that. But the longer I read, even though they were written by different authors, the stories repeated themselves. I was no longer laughing by the fifth story about that lemon perfume. 

I blame the editor for my disappointment not the individual writers. There is some funny stuff in here that any woman can relate to. Maybe don't try to read the whole book at once. Reading one or two stories at a time might keep it fresh and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...