Monday, January 2, 2017

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I have loved this book since the first time I read it!  And I've read it more than once. This time however, I listened to it on CD.  I loved Lily, August and Rosaleen even more when their voices came to life.  And I disliked T Ray even more when I heard him yelling "Jesus Christ, Lily".  And he said that a lot.

On her fourteenth birthday, the motherless Lily decides accompany Rosaleen, her black housekeeper, who plans to register to vote. Lily doesn't bother to tell her always angry father, T Ray, where she is headed.  He didn't remember her birthday anyway so what would have been the point.  The racial divide of the south in the 1960's sets in motion events that will change Lily and Rosalyn's lives forever.

The Secret Life of Bees shows the reader all that is good in the world while trying to make sense of all that is bad.  Through the eyes of a teenager, life takes on a naive and often highly emotional slant. But the Boatwright sisters welcome Lily into their home and as they teach her the business of bees, she learns that life can be filled with the sweetness of honey.

There is much in this novel that is pertinent to the struggles we are facing in society today.  So if you haven't read it, please put it on your list.  And if you've read it, please listen to it.  The Secret Life of Bees is more than special, it's extraordinary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...