Saturday, December 31, 2016

Happy New Year 2017

As I do each year, what follows are my favorite books of 2016.  I've read many end of year book lists and like always, I don't know half of the books on any of the lists.  And I read a lot!  Goodreads has me at 60 books in 2016.  This year I've taken up listening to books in the car, reading during my lunch break at work on my iPhone and the old standby, in bed at night before going to sleep.  Ahhh.
I love books, books and more books.  So here we go!

Most entertaining - Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.  This is a trip through the land of panagrams and is absolutely delightful.

Most disappointing - Truly, Madly, Guilty by Lianne Moriarty.  I love to read Lianne Moriarty novels. They are funny, serious, fast paced and about women and their relationships with those around them.  It took everything I had to get through this one. Not up to her usual standards.

The best novel come to life - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows.  I had a wonderful opportunity to visit Guernsey this summer and even took the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society tour.  We visited all the spots in the book and learned even more about the German occupation.  Fabulous story set in a wonderful place.

Funniest - Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen. I heard Carl Hiaasen speak at the Vero Beach Book Center , had him autograph my copy of the book and even had my picture taken with him.  He is a hoot!  I've lived in Florida for 36 years so the absurd Florida humor he writes is hysterical and real!

Most Inspirational - Big Magic Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I read the book and listened to it in the car.  I learned so much about how to let my creative juices flow.  I am going to get my writing career off the ground in 2017!

Best Classic - There's a three way tie here.  Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  The reason these books are called classics is because the stories they tell will never grow old and the the lessons we can learn from them are timeless.

Best book about love and kindness - A Man Called Ove by FredrikBackman.  Everyone should read this story about how love and kindness to our neighbors can change lives.  Ove shows us all what the true meaning of life really is.

Books are the windows into our souls.  So read a little more in 2017 and see how rich your life can become when you lose yourself in a new world or feel the warmth of a character's heart.
Have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!  2017 promises to be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...