Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Day That Rolls Around Every August

The Day That Rolls Around Every August

It's that time again, time for my annual birthday post.  Ugh.  I'm not looking forward to this one at all.  Sixty!  How in the hell did that happen?  A friend of mine called yesterday to tell me that 60 is the new 30.  Sounds good to me, so I'm sticking with it. 

I was going to write a very different kind of post today than I originally planned, but I awoke this morning to a dining room table filled with gifts from Richard and Ginger and a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Pam and the grandkids. Richard doled out the gifts in a very specific order. 

First he gave me a card from Corinne, the next door neighbor.  Her birthday was yesterday so we commiserate together, and it had a beautiful sentiment about the beauty of being 60.  Next came Ginger's card, also with a nice verse.  Ginger is 9 years old.  Here's what she wrote in her card.

"Just remember Mommy, you are still younger than me!"  LOL!

Next I opened a series of presents containing scratch off lottery tickets, a tradition for all special occasions at our house.  I won $25!   I had ordered some clothes from a catalog that had been hidden when they arrived.  Now they were wrapped and I opened them as if I'd been surprised!

Lastly Richard brought me a box that was a mystery.  (I would not normally write about this topic in a blog, but this is too funny to ignore!)  I slowly unwrap it to find a picture of a scantily clad woman with a huge smile on her face on the box.  Are you getting my drift here?  It's a vibrator! 

There is a big sex store down in Melbourne.  In case, you were wondering, I've never been there.  With nothing to do one day, he drove down while I was at work.  The sales girl helped him pick out the best one, the one she likes best.  He checked the money in his wallet.

"My wife checks the credit card bills.  What will it say on the bill if I charge this?" he asks.

"The name that's on the sign on the outside of the building," she replies.

"I don't have enough cash." Richard counts out all his change too.

"Are you military or retired military?  I'll give you a 20% discount." I have a feeling she's been down this road before with her customers. I'm surprised she didn't ask for an AARP card.

Richard answers 'retired military' and walks out with my gift.

Lastly Richard hands me a card from him.  The card itself made me laugh but what he wrote in it made me cry.

"Linda, I met you in your twenties, we got married in your thirties, we made it through your forties and fifties.  I may not see you turn 70 and certainly not 80, so let's enjoy your sixties together."

It's going to be a very good decade, I just feel it.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...