Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith

The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith

The Frangipani Hotel is a wonderful collection of stories about Vietnam and its people.  Several years ago, I had an opportunity of a lifetime to see Vietnam with a group of Vietnamese friends who were going home to visit family.  I tagged along and today the fond memories of the trip have stayed with me. 

Reading stories of snakes, Vietnamese sandwiches and leaving shoes on the doorstep,  I felt right at home.  I laughed, I cried, I understood.  I am an American on the outside looking in to this complex culture, and  Ms. Kupersmith captured it exactly as I remember, right down to the deliciousness of a Vietnamese sandwich.  I drooled for the taste of its unrecognizable meat and strange seasoning on a soft, perfect roll.  I'm still thinking about it and wondering when I will ever taste something so delicious again. 

Don't think the stories are all about food.  They are about love and deceit during a time of war.  They are about refugees trying to adapt to a new country.  They are about preserving a past when it seems to be slipping away.

The author is talented and accomplished in bringing the tales of Vietnamese culture to life in a fresh and invigorating way.  Two thumbs up.  I loved it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...