Thursday, May 24, 2012

Honolulu by Alan Brennert

Honolulu by Alan Brennert

Honolulu, with its gorgeous orchid lei cover has waited on my shelf since I read Moloka'i several years ago.  With anticipation of a summer vacation in Honolulu, I thought it was time to read it.

Jin, is a Korean picture bride of the early 20th century.  Smart and curious, she despised the culture of her country that kept women uneducated and secluded.  Her parents had named her Regret simply because she wasn't born a boy.  She devises schemes to sneak from the family compound with her friend to arrange her passage to Hawaii as a bride for a man she's never met.  In Hawaii, she's told,  the streets are paved with gold and she will have a life of happiness and prosperity.  And be able to go to school.

Once in Honolulu, Jin's life is anything but happy.  She and the other picture brides are forced to labor in the cane fields.  Beaten at the hands of Mr. Noh, her husband, Jin manages to escape and later divorce Mr. Noh.  Something that would never have been possible except in America. 

Life is hard and obstacles are many but Jin pieces together a life full of promise that would never have been possible in Korea. This novel is full of diverse and interesting characters, love and hope,triumph over adversity.  Overall I found the story a little flat.  The happy ending was too predictable.  

I must admit I enjoyed Moloka'i more but Honolulu depicts a little known and very interesting piece of history.  I can't wait to see all the landmarks on my vacation that were so beautifully described by the author.  The novel is an enjoyable learning experience, well written and leaves the reader full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...