Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Driving Miss Daisy

Our granddaughter, Jessie is turning 15 next week.  In Florida, a 15 year old can get a temporary driver's permit to learn to drive.  They can't get a license until they turn 16 but a year's worth of practice should make the roads a little safer for us all. I'm sure that was the lawmaker's logic.

In Pennsylvania, however, where Jessie lives, 16 is the age for a learner's permit.  This next year is going to be a very long wait.  She's itching to get behind the wheel. 

"Richard.  Jessie's birthday is next week.  What do you want to do for her?" I reminded him since I am the keeper of the family calendar of events and occasions.

He immediately went to the phone and dialed. When the answering machine click on, he left this message.

"Hey, Jessie.  I understand you're having a birthday next week.  What do you want for a gift?  Here's your choices.  One.  A couple more tutoring sessions.  Two.  A trip to Florida for a few driving lessons with Poppy.  Or three.  Some cash.  Call me and let me know."

"Do you think she'll call us back?"  I asked. 

"I doubt it. Those kids never call us."  He hung up the phone and went about the rest of his day.

After dinner, we took our usual spots on the sofa to watch the evening news.  The phone rang.  I love when the caller id pops up on the television.  It was Jessie.  I was closest so I picked up the phone.

"Hello.  How are you?"

"Linny, I want the ticket to Florida for driving lessons."

"Really?  You want driving lessons with Poppy?"  Richard broke out in a huge grin.  I handed him the phone.

While the two of them chatted, I laughed to myself.  There is a family story that one time, Jessie's mother came to Florida to visit her father around the age of 15 and got some driving lessons.  Upon her return home, an uncle left his car keys accessible.  He left the perfect opening for a teenager to do some joy riding.  Needless to say the car was on the losing end of that deal.  And in the days before air bags, no one was hurt. No one has ever let her forget it.

Jessie may want to come to Florida for driving lessons, but rest assured her mother will not allow it.  This summer when I take her on vacation in Utah, Poppy and I hatched a plan to stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats and take a picture of Jessie, behind the wheel of the rental car.  For now it's a secret.  Maybe Jessie's birthday wish won't come true on her birthday but maybe it will sooner than she thinks.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...