Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

One of the most wonderful things about my Kindle is the number of free books I can download and read.  All the classics that I haven't read since I was in high school, plus a few I should have read and never did.  Why I decided to read The Wizard of Oz again, I don't really know.  However I do have very fond memories of a copy of the book I owned as a child.  It had a sky blue cover with the dancing armless creatures across the bottom. 

The story opened curiously with an introduction from the author.  He talked about the children of the day wanting more excitement that the everyday fairy tale.  This was a modern story for children.  At first I thought this was a modern addition because the book was on Kindle.  But it wasn't. Today this is a very classic fairy tale.  But in the day it was written it must have been very modern and futuristic. 

I was surprised to learn that Dorothy wore silver slippers and that green spectacles were locked onto their faces while in the Emerald City.  Things weren't naturally green.  When the tornado lifts the house, Dorothy and Toto float calmly within the center of the storm until they are deposited on top of the wicked witch.  And I really liked the china people who made visits to the mender every time they broke off an arm or leg. 

And it was quite interesting to see how Hollywood took so many liberties with this story. I think they told a better story for the movies.  But the book is a beautiful classic tale, perfect for curling up with on a cold night or to be read aloud to children just to watch the wonder and amazement on their faces as each new chapter unfolds.  A modern fairy tale, yes.  A classic story that will live on forever.  For sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...