Monday, January 16, 2012

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

I'd read the buzz about this book.  A novel about the IRS is right up my alley being that I'm a tax geek.  Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I enjoyed dinner conversation with a relative who thought that a book he'd read by David Foster Wallace was the best and most interesting thing he's ever read.  I like reading works by brilliant writers.  Combine brilliance and a story about the U.S. federal tax system and I didn't need any more convincing.

I knew going in that The Pale King is an unfinished work found after the tragic suicide of the author.  I read all the disclaimers about how it was lightly edited and remained very close to how the manuscript had been found.  The roller coaster ride began on the first page.  The IRS agents are riding around in Mr. Squishy ice cream trucks that had been seized.  An agent is slumped over his desk, dead for four days and no one noticed.  The author's own experience of being mixed up with a higher ranking agent of the same name is hysterical. 

I read a review of The Pale King that said you needed to work really hard at reading this book.  I have to agree.  The characters are rich and interesting.  The story line is loaded with fresh prose and dialogue.  But after awhile I failed to find any connection of the large cast of characters to any kind of plot.  That's not a criticism, it's only that it's an unfinished manuscript.

I got alot out of this book.  If you want to invest your time in reading it, be prepared to work at it.  It's definitely not a light beach read.  Be prepared to invest your time and energy. You'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe all of the ideas you have presented for your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for newbies. May just you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.
    Rapid Transit Recon 19 Strap Mount Tank Bag Black/Charcoal 759-5028

    ReplyDelete

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...