Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Price of Being Well Read

I've bypassed the steps toward my goal and gone straight to the prize.  I now own a Kindle.  I was supposed to read all those books on my shelf before treating myself to the electronic device, but I got itchy to have one.  Technology of the 21st century seemed to be slipping through my fingers.  If I want to stay on the cutting edge of the publishing world, I needed to have it.  Now!

I'm reading my first book on Kindle and I love it.  I can set the size of the font to what is pleasing to my eyes.  The screen really does look like ink printed on a page.  And the little scale at the bottom tells me the percentage I've read.  I happen to love this feature.  When I read a paper book the first thing I do is look at the number of pages, determine the halfway point and track my progress through the story.  I know.  I'm weird.  The Kindle does all that for me. 

Yesterday I watched Oprah and James Frey of 'A Million Little Pieces' fame.  I got out the Kindle and searched for his books so I could download them.  The USA Today has a wonderful book section and if anything looks interesting, the heck with the bookstore.  I download it.  A friend of mine has her first book coming out in June.  Guess what?  I preordered it on the Kindle.  'Sisters of the Sari' will magically appear on its release date.

Instead of all my books getting dusty on the shelf, I can carry them with me wherever I go.  Amazon makes it easy.  I have no idea how much I'm spending.  I download, they automatically charge the fee to my credit card.  And e-books aren't really much cheaper than the print version, just lighter. 

Never realizing how books bombarded me from so many places before, I don't even need to go to the bookstore anymore.  It used to be my favorite hang out spot. Now I will be even more well read than ever with so many books at my fingertips. I may be spending more on books but with gas at $4 a gallon I might really be saving.  Or at least that's what I'd like to believe.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...