Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Stories about twins fascinate me.  Especially stories about twins and ghosts.  There is something very mystical and magical about one soul split into two identical bodies.  Vida Winter, a famous but now old and aging storyteller decides it's time to share the secrets of her life.  She calls on Margaret Lea who carries a secret of her own.

Vida sets the ground rules that all stories have beginnings, middles and ends and there will be no deviating from that.  Margaret, with an investigative mind, tries to put some pieces in place before the famous author is ready to reveal them.  Along the way the pair form an incredible, loving bond.

The Thirteenth Tale is a lovely, mysterious page turner.  The story and its characters are enticing.  In fact on my last trip to the bookstore, they had six copies of The Thirteenth Tale on the shelf.  So other people must think so too.  I rate it a 5 out of 5 and I think I'm keeping it.  I've always wanted to write my own story about twins.  I'll need some tips and The Thirteenth Tale will offer many.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong First off I have to say I happened on this book by chance.  My sister's name is Susan Leigh Furl...